So as we’ve all noticed this summer has been a little damp and grey so far. But fear not. The sun is always shining in The Buttercup! Our food and cafe is inspired by colour. Naturally colourful food that feeds your soul in a bright, creative place which makes you feel joyful (whatever the English weather may throw at us).
At this time of year our kitchen is full of nasturtiums and edible flowers from a garden in Firle, leafy fresh greens and herbs from local Fletching Glasshouses, incredible bunches of fennel, sacks of broad beans and freshly picked local veg from Fin & Farm.
Here is a rainbow of colours from around The Buttercup this week:
This week of warm sunshine has left us all feeling glorious. We’re so lucky to work in a beautiful Sussex town and most importantly in a cafe where we get to be outside (well, when we’re not busy creating fresh delights in our kitchen). We have lots of tables for customers outside in our yard. Like 99% of the population this weather has made us start thinking about our flowers, plants and gardening plans for the summer. So this post is a collection of ideas we rather like.
1) Strawberry pots – as featured on the lovely Country Living blog this week.
2) Wiggly Wigglers – we love their beautiful British grown flower posies in jam jars.
3) Leadbetter & Good – we couldn’t resist buying some of their latest bunting. Brilliant bold colours and fabrics for summer. Their shop is new to Cliffe High Street in Lewes.
4) Fennel & Fern – The most stylish gardening blog.
5) Garden Organic – The national charity for organic growing have great information on edible flowers. And as any of our regular customers will know, we love using edible flowers in The Buttercup kitchen.